Traditional gummy treats get a bad rap because they are typically laden with artificial sweeteners, colours, and flavours. Yuck! But when you make homemade gummies you can make them super healthy! Keep reading to see what makes these gummies so darn good for you!
There are two important things that make these gummies so good for you.
1) Turmeric. Turmeric had been having a moment in the health world for quite some time now and for good reason. It's know as a powerful anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory compound. People seek its benefits for many concerns such as skin health, arthritis, diabetes, Alzheimer's and even cancer. The key component in turmeric that allows for all these amazing benefits is curcumin. There are a couple things you need to keep in mind when consuming turmeric if you want to get all those benefits. In order to "unlock" the curcumin so that your body can absorb the curcumin it needs to be combined with black pepper and fat. So I also make sure to include both of those things when making up a recipe with turmeric. Here are some of my other recipes that feature turmeric;
Curried Carrot Soup
Pumpkin Spice Golden Milk Latte
Chocolate Fat Bombs
2) Gelatin. Gelatin provides amazing benefits to the gut. It really helps to seal and heal the digestive tract when dealing with leaky gut syndrome. It also does wonders for the skin, hair and nails. It also protects joints and prevents pain.
If you're looking for all these benefits but don't want the "jelliness" of gelatin you can use collage instead. I add it to my coffee every day and it has done wonders for my skin!
You can create all kinds of different flavoured gummies with all your favourite superfoods!
- melt coconut oil over medium heat
- add orange juice, water, turmeric, ginger, honey, and black pepper
- heat until steaming, but not boiling
- reduce heat to low and whisk in gelatin (one tsp at a time) until fully dissolved.
- Pour into candy molds, ice cube trays or a small pan
- Let set in fridge for 2 hours, pop out of molds or cut into bet sized pieces.
- store refrigerated for up to 5 days
Welcome to the blog! You can find all kinds of goodies on here, recipes, health information, and all my latest updates. Have fun exploring!